Membership Makes Our Organization Strong!
What is PTSA? Why join PTSA? The number one reason to join the Parent Teacher Student Association is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school and become a part of a the voice behind of National PTA and join more than 5 million other people who share your interest in issues affecting children. Everyone—parents, educators, students and other citizens active in their schools and communities—is invited to join our not-for-profit parent association.
What will I (and my student) get out of joining the PTSA?
- GET CONNECTED: There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school and to have direct access to administration.
- BE HEARD: Share ideas, concerns, and experiences. Student members will get a say on what the group does and can offer the student perspective. If an issue/problem needs attention from the state or national government, any local, district, or state PTA can bring the issue to the attention of the National PTA.
- LEARN: Education about school policies, state funding, and other issues concerning Vail and TUSD
- DISCOVER GREAT RESOURCES: The PTSA offers a variety of programs designed for parents as well as students.
- TAP INTO A NETWORK: PTSA functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, building rapport and discussing issues that are on your mind.
- WATCH YOURSELF GROW: By volunteering with your PTSA, you put your skills and hobbies to use for a noble cause—your child and all children in the community.
- SPEAK UP: PTSA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child’s school.
- WITNESS IMPROVEMENT: By getting involved at your child’s school you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. Local PTSAs play an important role in fundraising to provide building improvements, curriculum-based programs, and social events.
- BE A ROLE MODEL: By becoming a PTSA member, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on them and their education.
- ENJOY BENEFITS. Membership in a local unit makes you part of National PTA. Individuals and local units can take advantage of a host of benefits from PTA membership including discounts and offers from benefit providers and sponsors, leadership training, e-newsletters and much more. To see a full list of benefit providers, click here to go to the national PTA website.
As a PTSA member what would I be expected to do?
Your level of involvement is up to you, but here are some of the main things the PTSA hope you will consider:
- Give your input: Your voice is important to help shape the goals and actions of our PTSA. Feel free to address any concerns you have at meetings.
- Events and fundraisers: the PTSA will assist the school with its community events and may also have community info or spirit events of its own. We may conduct fundraisers throughout the year for projects and improvements at the school and for things like for art supplies, scholarships, teacher grants, computers, field trips, etc. Your donation of time, talent, or money will be welcome to make our goals successful.
- Commitment: You’ll get the most out of your PTSA membership by staying involved. Meetings are scheduled for once-a-month in the evenings and we plan to meet in person in the school library and via Zoom. If you can’t make the meetings, see about getting minutes and try to make it to fundraisers and other PTSA events. Subscribe to our newsletter to get info, too.
Dues are $5.50 for students,
$8.00 for everyone else.
(Membership period runs July 1-June 30 each school year.)
Why do I have to pay to be a member of the PTSA?
Per our parent PTA bylaws, to be a voting member of PTSA and to be counted amongst the members of National PTA, you will be asked to pay membership dues. Our chapter dues are $5.50 for students and $8.00 for parents, teachers, staff, and general community ($5.50 of the dues we charge go to AZ and National PTA). This nominal amount is not too much for a year’s worth of involvement in your child’s school.
** PLEASE don’t let dues cost keep you from becoming a member. If you wish to join but are not in a position to pay dues at this time, just let us know during your sign-up. **
Please click the pic below to be directed to the membership sign-up form. A paper form is also available in the school office or can be mailed to you (email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request one). Thank you!!
For more information on National PTA visit: www.PTA.org